Volcano - I can see myself!

VOLCANO

It's only a model volcano
Being built by two 
very excited second graders
Of whom I am very proud 

I watch them and 
I smile as I begin to see
how many parts of the model resemble ME!
Me going hiking, me in the gym, me sitting for too long
The steep sides, the potholes, the dips
The uphill climb, the rocky paths, the slippery terrain, 
Me climbing, sweating, whining, trying to listen attentively
but silently shouting out words
you don't want to hear
Till finally
I reach flat ground, stable ground, right at the top
Then a sure sigh of relief you will hear
Tinged with streaks of embarrassment
How could I have been such a pain?
But I did it, I made it!
That's surely ME!

I hear and feel 
the rumble from within
The lava bubbling from within
Shaking the very earth on which it stands
That's ME again! 
Trying hard to control 
the laughter that bubbles from within
when I remember that walk, or was it a run? 
as I tried to get to the restroom before.......
That laughter again when my siblings and I meet
reminiscing, retracing the steps 
of our shared history, our childhood journey 
Me, laughing out loud, stomping the ground 
At the same trying hard to control lava 'overflowing'
that which will surely
 require a change of clothes
That's ME again

I also feel the crinkly, hard bits
The sharp points and the unseen holes
Not sure what it will look like
when it is all done!
That ME again
The uncertainties, the unknown, the what 'ifs'
Is it this, or that, am I here or there?
those thoughts that sometimes keep
me wondering and trapped


It really is only a model volcano 
Being built by two 
very excited second graders
Of whom I am very proud 
their great ideas, their effort, their collaboration
 the hard work, and fun they have together
All remind me of ME
So many lessons learned along the way
Thank you kiddos for teaching me each day!



Comments

  1. THAT was not what I expected when I started reading, and I LOVED it. You wove so much about you into this slice while keeping it about the moment and the volcano! That's ME was the perfect line to repeat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's incredible what your kids taught you by working on their volcano project. The reflections it spawned about yourself were so eloquently captured in your poem. Thank you for this gorgeous piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a STUNNING extended metaphor poem! I love a well-crafted metaphor, and obviously you know how to do that...as well as monitoring two second graders, going to the gym, laughing til you *lose it* that lava-of-laughter. It's so wonderful to read such richness in a poem that invites us so effortlessly to know you better. Welcome to our SOL community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the welcome and for 'loving' my poem. I am also loving this platform of writers

      Delete
  4. It is amazing how you made those deep reflections and strong connections to the volcano project. I've been part of quite a few volcanos, but I must admit I will never look at another one without thinking about your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! I prefer to write poetry as my thoughts flow better in that style. Happy writing

      Delete
  5. This is expertly written. I like the skill with which you juxtaposed the model volcano with your life experiences. Cleverly done, I'm off to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy, I loved writing it and glad I am able to share it as well

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of writer's block comes, Fireflies

Eating a Mango: My Way!

Missing Everyone, Everything.....