Out of writer's block comes, Fireflies

Writer's block is what I've got today,

And can't seem to work out what to write about.

So I decide to just pick up my laptop, 

just to see where my fingers and the keyboard take me.

I set the timer and give myself just three minutes (or maybe more),

to write 'fast and furiously' like I do with my kids in school.

I choose my topic - Fireflies,

So - let's get ready, GO.


As a child

One thing that lingered in my mind

Were the fireflies

we captured in jars,

Fascinated by their radiant glow.

Wondering why they wouldn't keep shining,

Why they kept losing their sparkle,

and seemed to die right before our eyes.

"Why did their light fade?"

We would ask.


Now as an adult,

Surely we know,

Our 'firefly lights' shine brightest,

when we are in the right place,

In our 'out-of-jar' space,

Surrounded by the right people.

Fully at ease and happy within.

That place that sets us free to embrace,

Appreciate and enjoy the love all around.


So let's strive and find, 

Those 'out-of-jar' places.

Let's be ...

Fireflies in the wild,

Fireflies in the garden,

Fireflies set free to shine,

Flying elegantly and gracefully through the air 

Brightening each path along the way,

Avoiding the confines of a jar.

Embracing the joy

To be free, to shine, and just be 

Ourselves!


6 minutes, 20 seconds, and more to edit!








Comments

  1. Wow, that's a great quick write! I never thought of being a firefly before.
    Embracing the joy/To be free, to shine, and just be/ Ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! Definitely didn't take 3 minutes. Like I said at the end - 6 minutes, 20 seconds (for the first draft), and more to edit! So 3 minutes was the fuel that got me running ☺️. I spent more time editing though.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't compose that so fast. Fireflies have always been a symbol of hope to me and remind me so much of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really wasn't that fast - 3 minutes only got me started with the first draft. I spent more time editing. I love Fireflies

      Delete
  3. Amazing! This is an original metaphor. We are all fireflies and need to be free..."In our 'out-of-jar' space."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered something about myself as a writer yesterday. I write best when I focus on one thing, get a picture, dig in my memory bank and write freely! I do love Fireflies!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I'd say you kicked writer's block in the face. You wrote a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina! I did discover something about myself as a writer yesterday. I gave myself a time and a topic and just went along with it. It definitely took more than 3 minutes!

      Delete
  5. For having writer's block, your 3 minute composition is wonderful in my opinion. Your tag caught may attention because I loved catching fireflies as a child. These lines impacted me most - Fireflies set free to shine,
    Flying elegantly and gracefully through the air
    Brightening each path along the way"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. But i have to say it wasn't quite a 3 minute piece☺️. That just set me off and at the end I posted - 6 minutes, 20 seconds, and more to edit! I did enjoy writing that once I had a topic and made sure to set a time limit! i love fireflies and wish I would see more of them

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eating a Mango: My Way!

Missing Everyone, Everything.....